FOR the second time, Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III suspended the current classes in both private and public colleges as a precaution from rain and gusts from tropical depression Basyang.
Cebu City Mayor Tomas announced on Facebook last night he had suspended classes in both private and public colleges, in all levels.
Disaster management teams in Mandaue City and Cebu City said that as of late Tuesday afternoon, no flood or landslide had been reported.
Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma requested if necessary, all parishes to start their churches into evacuees.
“Time and again, we have educated our clergy when and if there are calamities we need to make available our facilities, whether they’re gymnasiums or churches,” the archbishop said.
In Cebu City, an official advised residents to ensure disaster management begins at home. “Everything boils down to proper planning. Start looking and remove it. Plan your escape in case desired and prevent almost any eventuality,” said Nagiel Bañacia, chief of the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office.
Except yesterday day, to the legislative department, work at Cebu City Hall was suspended. Classes in all levels, both in private and public colleges, were also suspended.
Day pushed through as determined by its members. On the other hand, the last deliberation of proposed ordinances was deferred until the following session.
Officials kept a cautious eye on this Butuanon River and stated that the town could remain on alert status until Basyang leaves.
At 1, Felix Suico Jr. said the amount of water at the Butuanon River rose by about two feet, but there wasn’t any need to evacuate the families. He heads Control Office and that the City Disaster Risk Reduction. A reply team under that office was on standby for 24 hours.
“We have been providing weather advisories into the barangay captains via text messages,” Suico mentioned in Cebuano.
Mandaue City Mayor Gabriel Luis Quisumbing decided to cancel classes from elementary to high school. Work at the Mandaue City Hall finished at two p.m. so workers can go home.
Back in Lapu-Lapu City, the Department of Education suspended courses. Andy Berame, who heads the town’s disaster management office, stated excursions into Olango Island were cancelled.
Meanwhile, Barili’s disaster management officer clarified a busted highway in Barangay Malolos was not a part of the impact of Basyang.
Noel Girasol advised SunStar Cebu this past year the road was damaged, but just before Basyang spawned rain, the Department of Highways and Public Works cordoned off the area. (JKV, RTF, FMG)